Dr. Mark Hennessy frequently performs liposuction to correct gynecomastia for Houston patients. Gynecomastia is a condition where male breasts, or “man boobs,” are present, negatively affecting the appearance of the chest. This condition can occur at any age, from infants to boys around puberty all the way to men in their old age.
While gynecomastia by itself isn’t a health risk, it can still cause embarrassment and self-consciousness. Male breast reduction surgery can be used to reduce fat deposits for a more masculine chest.
Why Does Gynecomastia Occur?
Gynecomastia can be caused by a number of underlying factors. It is typically caused by hormonal imbalances. Men naturally produce both testosterone and estrogen. When more estrogen or less testosterone is produced, this can result in gynecomastia.
This condition can also be caused by the use of certain kinds of medications, recreational drugs, or alcohol. Health conditions like cirrhosis and hypogonadism can also cause gynecomastia.
Am I Good Candidate For Male Breast Reduction
Not everyone needs gynecomastia surgery. We recommend male breast reduction for men who have:
- Excessive Breast Tissue: Ideal candidates typically exhibit a noticeable enlargement of breast tissue, causing physical discomfort or contributing to a negative impact on self-esteem.
- Stable Weight: Candidates should maintain a stable and healthy weight. Stability is crucial for optimal results because fluctuations in weight can affect the outcome.
- Good Overall Health: Candidates for male breast reduction should be in good general health, free from underlying medical conditions that might pose risks during surgery or the recovery process.
- Non-Smokers: Non-smokers are preferred candidates, as smoking can impede the body’s healing process and increase the risk of complications.
- Realistic Expectations: Ideal candidates approach the procedure with realistic expectations about the outcomes. A consultation with our experienced professionals at Downsize! Lipo Center will provide a clear understanding of achievable results.
- Psychological Well-Being: Individuals seeking male breast reduction should be mentally prepared for the transformative nature of the procedure. A positive mindset and a commitment to improving self-confidence are crucial aspects.
- Consultation Readiness: Candidates should be willing to undergo a thorough consultation with our expert team. This process allows for a personalized assessment of the individual’s unique situation and the development of a tailored treatment plan.
Preparing For Gynecomastia Surgery
- Schedule and Attend a Consultation: Contact our specialists at Downsize! Lipo Center to discuss your concerns and expectations related to male breast reduction.
- Complete Pre-Operative Tests: Ensure optimal overall health for the gynecomastia surgery by promptly completing required pre-operative tests.
- Quit Smoking: Support a smoother healing process by quitting smoking at least a few weeks before undergoing gynecomastia.
- Adhere to Fasting Guidelines: Follow any fasting or dietary restrictions for safe anesthesia administration during gynecomastia surgery.
- Prepare for Post-Operative Care: Set up a comfortable recovery space at home and familiarize yourself with post-operative care instructions for a smooth recovery following gynecomastia.
How Is Gynecomastia Resolved?
In babies and boys around puberty, when natural hormonal changes are the cause of the issue, the condition can resolve itself naturally. However, gynecomastia doesn’t always go away on its own.
If the condition is being caused by a medical issue or lifestyle factors, it can often be addressed with non-surgical means. When non-surgical options prove ineffective, breast reduction surgery provides an alternative. This is the most effective solution for gynecomastia.
Your Gynecomastia Consultation
Dr. Hennessy will ask you about your complete medical history. You should be completely open about your medical history, alcohol, tobacco and drug use when asked. This helps the surgeon create a treatment plan that best delivers the results you want.
What to Expect with Gynecomastia Surgery
Dr. Hennessy makes use of power-assisted liposuction (PAL) and tumescent fluid. For this, a small incision is made in the affected area, and then tumescent fluid is injected to swell the fat. An oscillating cannula is inserted. The cannula’s tip oscillates to break up stubborn fat effectively in the area around the nipples. The fat is then removed using medical suction.
Throughout the surgical session, patients are free to watch a movie. This way, instead of feeling bored or anxious, they can enjoy themselves while the surgeon performs the procedure.
The Gynecomastia Recovery Process
After male breast reduction surgery, the area around the breasts will be temporarily swollen and bruised. You will have to wear a pressure garment for a time during recovery to help control the swelling. Time off from work will be necessary.
Because power-assisted liposuction and tumescent fluid are used, blood loss, swelling, bruising, and downtime are all reduced. This makes the recovery process much more comfortable.
After your recovery period following gynecomastia surgery, you can resume your regular activities. The results are permanent.
How Much Does Gynecomastia Surgery Cost?
The price of male breast reduction is dependent on the details of the liposuction procedure. Cost is based on factors like the amount of tissue removed, the techniques employed, the total surgery time, and the type of anesthesia utilized.
Gynecomastia, often referred to colloquially as “man boobs,” is a condition that can affect males ... Safety First: How Surgeons Ensure a Safe Liposuction Procedure for Plus-Size Patients Two Americans Kidnapped in Mexico
Gynecomastia, often referred to colloquially as “man boobs,” is a condition that can affect males ...
Safety First: How Surgeons Ensure a Safe Liposuction Procedure for Plus-Size Patients
Two Americans Kidnapped in Mexico